Sunday, January 30, 2011

Restaurant Week - Maze by Gordon Ramsay

Restaurant week, for me at least, is a hit or miss even at the best restaurants. One year I raved to one of my friends about Matsugen by Jean-George and we went for restaurant week to only be quite disappointed. Marcos and I went at least three times prior to restaurant week and then were so disappointed by restaurant week there that we never returned since!

Maze by Gordon Ramsay was really great! The portions were on the lighter side, but it was a nice change from being completely overstuffed by/after dessert.

My friend and I both started with the Butternut Squash soup with Duck Confit. The thickness of the soup was perfect and the saltiness of the duck added a nice touch to the soup.
Butternut Squash soup with Duck Confit

For the main entree, I selected the Classic Bouillabaisse Marseilles topped with cooked down fennel, crunchy garlic crouton and over a sauce rouille. This dish left me wanting more plus I was in love with the garlic crouton.
 Classic Bouillabaisse Marseilles

My friend had the Risotto with Mushrooms. I'm normally not a fan of risotto but really liked his entree.
Risotto with Mushrooms

For dessert, Vanilla Custard with Citrus Fruits and accompanied by brown sugar oats and a generous scoop of mandarin sorbet. The contrast between the vanilla custard and citrus fruits was so good. I didn't care for the brown sugar oats though.
 Vanilla Custard with Citrus Fruits

The Valrhona Chocolate Fondant with green cardamon caramel, sea salt and almond ice cream reminded me of a souffle. The consistency of the fondant was smooth and delicious; however, the dessert was definitely something that I felt that I could find elsewhere.

I'll have to return to Maze by Gordon Ramsay after restaurant week! Already recommended this place to Marcos for business dinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment